Welcome to TangoWorldWide!
You are a Guest, which means you cannot use
all possible features on this forum.
Sign in or Register, to enjoy full functionality. It'll only take 2 seconds!
226 Players in 24 Servers

Author Topic: Gaming addiction.  (Read 74 times)

Offline dominance

• Registered Users
  • Forum Addict
  • Topic Author
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/dominancee
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 350
  • Likes Given: 166

dominance

• Total Badges: 13
    Badges: (View All)
    1000 Posts Badge Collector (10) Christmas 2017 Halloween 2017 Summer 2017 500 Posts 1 Year Coin Badge Collector (5) Quick Poster 100 Posts Christmas 2016 Halloween 2016 Mobile User
Gaming addiction.
« on: July 14, 2018, 06:23:04 am »
Hello, I thought this was a problem I got rid of last year but it happened again. I'm addicted to gaming.
It's not as bad as most cases(where people say they spend 8-16 hours a day on the PC) but I definitely burn through 4-5 hours a day and hopping on the PC to play videogames is the first thing I do once I get home from work.
I am lucky enough that my addiction isn't bad to the point where my social life and work falls off but I feel like I could definitely be using the time spent to gaming into something more productive.
It's literally because of this addiction that I cannot get to studying PHP(coding language for those who don't know) and advancing myself.
This is serious.
I'm burning a lot of valuable time during my best years of my life.
I need help and advice, please.

EDIT: If you suffer from the same form of addiction, regardless of severity of the addiction, this is the best place to talk.
Please read this very carefully.
If you don't attempt to cure your videogame addiction(there are other forms of addictions that can drag a person down but I feel that videogaming could be the most common in this community) it will eat up your life and you will really regret it, you will miss out on hundreds of opportunities that could potentialy increase your overall happiness and contentment with your life.
The first step is to acknowledge your problem and be conscious about it, like I am at this very moment.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:28:23 am by dominance »

Offline nochill

• Forum Junkie
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198300031952
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBJpX9mIsIEc2kXMUeXoZXQ
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 86

tw nochill

• Total Badges: 19
    Quick Collector (5) Spammer-100 500 Posts Badge Collector (15) Spammer-50 Spammer-25 2 Year Coin Quick Poster Badge Collector (10) 100 Posts Christmas 2017 Halloween 2017 Badge Collector (5) Summer 2017 1 Year Coin Christmas 2016 Halloween 2016 Summer 2016 Mobile User
Re: Gaming addiction.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:12:14 am »
When I was playing way too much I took on other hobbies like excersize and that allowed me to get in better shape and spend some time away from the computer.

Offline S..

• 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐏𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐉𝐚𝐡𝐬𝐞𝐡 𝐎𝐧𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐲
  • Internal Affairs Manager
  • 5k Poster
  • I play Tango for the community
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/surframp/
    • View Profile
  • TangoPoints: 2
  • Liked: 1176
  • Likes Given: 2

official tango manAGER ES DOT

• Total Badges: 35
    I Triggered LemonFridge 2 Year Coin Fly Shit Only Red Star Giving Thanks 2017 Invisible 12 Days of Christmas 2017 TangoGift 5000 Posts Spammer-100 Christmas 2017 Halloween 2017 Poster of the Month 2017 2500 Posts Badge Collector (20) beatstar Award Summer 2017 Gstad's Squad Ur-Banana Badge Collector (15) 100 Poll Votes 1000 Posts Spammer-50 Spammer-25 Badge Collector (10) 1 Year Coin 500 Posts 100 Posts Admin of the Month 2017 Badge Collector (5) Mobile User Christmas 2016 Halloween 2016 Summer 2016 Quick Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 03:53:36 pm »
Well one step for me was getting a position in Tango that did not involve me being on servers, so I could do everything from my phone. Most of everything I do with Tango and this community now I do on my phone while waiting for things etc, and I don't get on my computer a lot anymore.

If you want to reduce those 4-5 hours, maybe try something like those actual game locks you can put on with like parental controls or other methods. It will take a lot of self-control and willpower, but if you set a time and the game locks you out of playing it, or just have your computer lock you out of steam and other platforms entirely after a bit, maybe you'll finally take it more seriously and not try to unlock it with a master password or something. If you see yourself cheating to get around this, then get more serious help, consider having friends take away your computer which will hinder your time coding but will still help nevertheless with everything else

I don't have a lot to say here as I don't know much or really anything about "Gaming Addiction" but I hope it kinda maybe helped
forums are nothing without me ♥
Single most dedicated staff member I've ever seen +vouch

Quote from: Messiah
T.w² | messiah: you said your ego matches me you gotta put up to that now
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
>¬<
Current Position(s):
Manager @ Internal Affairs
Moderator @ Discord
Community Leadership @ CSGO
Mentorship @ Bhop

Past Positions:
Manager @ Website
Manager @ CSGO
Divisional Staff @ Bhop
A-team @ Bhop
SA @ Bhop

Offline dominance

• Registered Users
  • Forum Addict
  • Topic Author
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/dominancee
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 350
  • Likes Given: 166

dominance

• Total Badges: 13
    1000 Posts Badge Collector (10) Christmas 2017 Halloween 2017 Summer 2017 500 Posts 1 Year Coin Badge Collector (5) Quick Poster 100 Posts Christmas 2016 Halloween 2016 Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:14:04 pm »
Well one step for me was getting a position in Tango that did not involve me being on servers, so I could do everything from my phone. Most of everything I do with Tango and this community now I do on my phone while waiting for things etc, and I don't get on my computer a lot anymore.

If you want to reduce those 4-5 hours, maybe try something like those actual game locks you can put on with like parental controls or other methods. It will take a lot of self-control and willpower, but if you set a time and the game locks you out of playing it, or just have your computer lock you out of steam and other platforms entirely after a bit, maybe you'll finally take it more seriously and not try to unlock it with a master password or something. If you see yourself cheating to get around this, then get more serious help, consider having friends take away your computer which will hinder your time coding but will still help nevertheless with everything else

I don't have a lot to say here as I don't know much or really anything about "Gaming Addiction" but I hope it kinda maybe helped
Well the thing is that I feel like the concept of "locking out" as you say it seems forceful and won't really help.
I have tried placing a timer down(as in limiting my time to two hours per computer session and then forcing myself to shut off the PC and not turn it off again) but it just doesn't work in curing the addiction in the long-term.
I'm taking conscious steps to attempt to lower those hours but I can't seem to find a permanent cure to my addiction, which I'm afraid may come back in the future when I'm doing good for myself and ultimately ruin me.
The only thing that does work to seperate me from the PC during my free time is when I hang out with friends, and I'm really glad that my addiction hasn't taken over my main priorities(which are work, as well as having enough rest for work and friends).
It's more of an issue of "I know I could be doing better things that may help me in the future but I'm not doing it for some reason"

Offline aqua

• Basic Member
  • Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 139
  • Likes Given: 36

T.w² | FLAT9

• Total Badges: 21
    Badge Collector (20) 12 Days of Christmas 2017 Christmas 2017 Halloween 2017 Summer 2017 Badge Collector (15) 500 Posts 2 Year Coin 12 Days of Christmas 2016 Christmas 2016 Badge Collector (10) Halloween 2016 Summer 2016 1 Year Coin Christmas 2015 Badge Collector (5) Thanksgiving 2015 100 Posts Halloween 2015 Quick Poster Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:34:50 pm »
Dude there's so much shit I could tell you, but the best piece of advice I can give you at the moment is to just calm down. Any sort of addiction doesn't dissapear over night, no matter how hardyou try.

Don't say shit like you're 'wasting the best years of your life' that's so pointless. You are still fucking young as shit and have so much ahead of you, don't put yourself down like that. And I'm not just trying to flame you I genuinely am giving you advice from my past experience. I used to nolife the fuck out of games, and especially tango (jailbreak xd). I was really lucky and at the beginning of this year when a lot of things lined up for me to break my addiction (girl, college auditions, job, etc.) and I genuinely didn't feel any inclination to touch my PC (deadass sold my mouse and headset for prom tickets). I mean I'm back into playing now but normally I just get smacked and play TF2 with old irl friends bc it's the summer.

I feel like it's hard for me to help you over a post, because there is no effective way to get shit across over just a paragraph or two; but if you just want a generic-ass clichè answer then you just need to surround yourself with other shit to do. Like put yourself in positions away from your PC so you aren't tempted.

@dominance I legitimately wanna help because I've been in your position and I know how much it fucking sucks. I know we had bad blood on jailbreak in the past, but just add me on steam and we can get in teamspeak at some point and I'll try to help you with shit. I can't give you any sort of magical wisdom, but I'll still try my best.

Offline Frostyy

• Frostyy
  • Registered Users
  • Forum Addict
  • Ayee Its your, your favorite kindergartner
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/AkaFrostyyOG
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI7WTeTHl421ZpbkYU7JaqQ
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 139
  • Likes Given: 201

twitch.tv/Frostyyhere

• Total Badges: 21
    Badge Collector (20) Giving Thanks 2017 12 Days of Christmas 2017 Spammer-50 Badge Collector (15) Christmas 2017 Halloween 2017 Roasting Event 2017 Summer 2017 1 Year Coin Badge Collector (10) 100 Poll Votes 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts Badge Collector (5) Christmas 2016 Spammer-25 Quick Poster Halloween 2016 Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 09:09:57 pm »
Join a gang, it doesnt really matter which gang though
Frostyy's Profile
ppd's are irrelevant, just like motion.
Shut up faggot, go kill your self retard, your a nerd and all you do is spend your life on Tango and video games.
Oh, and thanks for the free post whore.

Current Position

Past Positions:
Probationary
Event Staff.
A-team on Jailbreak
SA on Deathrun
SA on Jailbreak

G2A Sponsor Image
DigitalOcean
Sinus Bot
AllTrapNation.com