3 years have passed... and what a journey it has been so far. I apologize in advance for the long post, but there's a lot to reflect upon of TangoWorldWide. Thank you all for reading and reflecting with me on the journey TangoWorldWide has been so far.
Three years ago, on 1/2/2014 we decided to make a new group, a new community, a new place, and a new home for our friends around us. Something that we could build together
and put a meaning. Today, we've done just that. The last year of TangoWorldWide brought two major conferences/events Spring Ahead, and TSDC, new members of Ownership, hundreds of new members community-wide, a total of 6,000+ steam group members, 1,000+ on the official roster, hundreds of thousands of unique website hits, 238,282 forum posts, 250TB+ of transfer through our game-servers, and even more network wide. Today I am very pleased to reflect on that, TangoWorldWide's steam group was officially registered on Jan 2, the website on Jan 4th, so we've met this years post half way between those two dates.
I had two awesome people convenience me to start this awesome place. @rizky
I know you guys aren't here anymore, but it wouldn't have been a thing without you. @rizky
decided one day during our team practice (god we were AWFUL
) that he was going to ask me to make another community like I had when he originally met me. Wow, I didn't think I'd be writing this post now three years later. Today, I'm sitting here writing this post in-browser, the sponsor bar is sliding across the bottom, the steam announcements and twitter feeds are packed. We've grown so much from that shitty theme and half-assed logos I'd pull together in photoshop. It's crazy to think all of this came
from a spare $50 I had in my in PayPal.
Regardless that we started from nothing, we're here today. I can still remember in fine detail the long talks between @whale @kenox @Flatburger @Zeph @rizky
and the rest of the crew of "What are we doing wrong?"
, "What isn't working?"
. So many people who were here at the start sadly are not active now. One of our oldest active is @Alex
from spring of our first year, and that shows quite a bit how much TangoWorldWide has changed.
TangoWorldWide is very special in my eyes, and of course I say that as the Owner, but also someone who has been around many communities and has seen a large array of staff. I can thankfully say that my Council has some of the most hard working
people I've met in all of my life. The way that some of my staff are able to collaborate, discuss their opinions, their views, ideas, and interact with one another, and myself... that blows my mind. Thank you, all of you, you make TangoWorldWide possible. You make TangoWorldWide different. You make us what we are today, and what we are going to grow to be in the future.
As time has moved on in this community, TangoWorldWide has seen many faces, and it's the ones who stay who make this place what it is. To all of you who come by, drop by for an instance, I hope we've served you well. For those of you who stay, I hope we continue to build this organization to the best of our abilities and continue to break new ground and move up and be better, be bigger. The other night TangoWorldWide broke it's network record of Players Online hitting almost 500
. That's MASSIVE. I never thought we'd see that, there's been my doubts, with internal issues, issues with !ws, valve having poor updates... but 500 players online, the all-time high. Next is 600.
Throughout tango's time it has changed a lot and has changed me a lot too. I was a complete amateur coming in, I had very little knowledge that I have now. I had no experience, and did not think that I could manage something this massive. If someone asked me three years ago would I be running this I'd said no way. There was no way I could've guessed it would've grown this much and I would be the one in charge of it all. I am SO thankful for the journey, and SO thankful for the love and support given to TangoWorldWide. It's taught me so much as a administrator, as a professional, and as a person. That's the thing too, I'm just a person. I'm not above admitting I make mistakes, I make bad calls, but TangoWorldWide has given me the ability to learn from these things, and grow from these things. It's an experience that I am going to remember for the rest of my life, and something that has shaped me into a smarter and better person. Something that is unforgettable, and which I will never take for granted.
2017 is going to be huge, we're going to continue to move up, continue to empower this network to be bigger, and better. With all the recent hate going around between various members, staff, etc; it's put a lot of you at an odd, and a dark time within the network. We are better
than that, and we can fix
that. And we will. There's been numerous times where we've been in our highs, in our lows, right now we're growing, and we're never going to stop. We are lucky to have a fine selection of new members, new potential staff to continue to help us build on TangoWorldWide and continue to help us pursue this dream. Thank you for that.
Now is also a great time to put this out here: There's been a lot of people with misconceptions recently how staff here works, how TangoWorldWide's back-end works. It's not all about getting to the top, it's about being the right person, for the right job, at the right time. Do not ever get discouraged.
If any of us got discouraged who have built this into what it is today, it wouldn't have gotten here. If you see something, say something
, speak up. If you are messaging me continuously over an issue, I notice it. (Yeah @Squishy
talking to you buddy). I'm sorry with how busy I get I push some of you off, but please continue to bug me about things you feel are wrong, flood my forum PMs with suggestions, ideas, reach out to me on steam, in Teamspeak. Never think I consider myself above you and you shouldn't talk to me. That will never
be the case here. You, the user, make this possible and I do care everything you need to say. As big as TangoWorldWide is, I will never stop trying to please everyone
. Even if it's impossible.
So to wrap up on my third-person bit I've done every year in this post now, and to turn it to some thank yous. I close you all to a major thank you to every single person who has kept this dream alive and continues to make this possible. I will reassure you, we will not go anywhere anytime soon. We are well funded, thanks to very generous users and donors, and we are well coordinated thanks to a simply amazing staff team. We will continue to try to improve our network, our community, and our organization in the year to come and continuously implement change
. One beautiful thing of TangoWorldWide is our keen aspect to continuously motivate and innovate. It's something that brings so much joy to me as the owner, seeing our staff break into
, teams and work together to continue to build something awesome. Mentions & Thank You'sThere is a long list of people, who I simply cannot be running this place without. Without you here, it alters my view on what I am doing. Makes me question myself, and honestly you help keep me in check. Thank you for being here. To the list below, these are the names that make this place so special for me. The people who make this community worth being in for me. So I apologize if I miss anyone, please know you are ALL important to me... but here's some shout-outs.@Shadow
- I can proudly say that you are by far one of my best friends I've made online. You're a really important person to me, and in TangoWorldWide. You are someone who I can always
turn to when I'm getting stressed out, and when shit is hitting the fan, and I've had enough. Thank you so much for being there as a great friend, thanks for carrying me through two semesters of Arabic. That was extremely fun. Thank you for being here, because TangoWorldWide has had a major impact for everything you've done for it, and everything you continue to do. You're a great friend, and a great person.@Alex
- Alex I give you a lot of shit, I "take the piss out of you" quite a lot, but honestly thank you. Thanks for coming to this community. Thank you for dealing with my bullshit, my inconsistent work ethics, me bitching you out for random things. It's been a crazy 5? 6? 7? years we've known each other, but I am thankful we met. You handle a lot when I'm not here, you take a lot of pressure off me and make it possible for TangoWorldWide to continue to grow. Thank you for that, thank you for everything.@Lt.DoomY
- You're slowly fading because you're busy in life (finally happy?), and that's awesome. Thank you for everything you've done for this community. You merged from ZenRefuge, and you made this community your new home, you made this community yours
. And it would be so much different without you.@Oscar
- You are a real homie, like a brother. Hours we sit around bitching about stupid stuff, arguing about code and algorithms, you memeing me in league. It's been nothing but fun. Thank you for building TangoTimer for us, thank you for always being there in the background helping me with the technical side of TangoWorldWide. Thanks for being an awesome friend and colleague. As well as the other Owners, a lot of Tango's success is thanks to you. You may not know how to get your opinions out in the most professional manner, but I will say your heart's in the right place. You've really grown to be a great friend, one of my best friends both online and in real life (I don't really use that border between the two). I honestly hope to see you actually
out here at my school one day with Polak and myself.@Dkmstr
- You're new in the staff mix, but thank you for working so hard for Ownership. It's a pleasure working with you and I can't wait to watch you develop and continue to learn.@rizky
- Thanks for convincing me to start Tango <3@The1Speck
- You aren't here much anymore, but you never fail to brighten everyone's day when you're online. SpeckScape was OP, bring it back.@Adam
- Being honest, I wish you were still active as you were when we were fucking off with Jacob, Juicy, and Mercutio in GTA 5. That was a really fun summer. You did a lot in your months in Ownership here, and you were someone who I loved to interact with and work with. Wish you were back on my Ownership team one day.@Mobz
- You are another person who I can turn to whenever, and definitely have helped TangoWorldWide massively. Wish you were more active, thank you for everything.@Conman118
- You're an awesome guy and have done a lot for us. You have no clue how to take a thank you, but I'll try anyway. Thank you for learning, and continuing to do a lot here.@Dream
- Kind of just recently talked to you after your considered leaving a few months back. Really glad you did not, your channel with Alex is somewhere everyone wants to be, myself included most days. You're an awesome person and friendly, someone who is going to continue to move up here and do some really cool things. Continue to work hard, and help us to continue to be the best we can be. Oh.. and thanks for proof-reading my shit
. You're doing good with Community Administration so far. Hope to see you keep it up.@dr.friday
- Doc, we used to DM each other in CnR. Man that was so long ago, I'm so glad you followed me to Tango. Thank you for being here, really. I know we don't see eye to eye sometimes.. but I really appreciate you.@Ferndeezy
- You're probably surprised to be on this list. I consider you quite a good friend, and thank you for being apart of Tango. Getting you to come back was really challenging, but ultimately really rewarding.@Nisse
- Nisse, you're our biggest donor. But that's not why you are on this list. You reached out to merge quite some time ago, and I'm really happy I took that one. You're an awesome guy, and you've changed so much and have so much love and passion for Tango. Couldn't think someone could love this place as much as me until I met you.@aPn
- Another big donor, another person who isn't on this list for that reason. You are another person who I can turn to to vent for shit going on in and around TangoWorldWide whenever I need. Thank you so much for being here. I'm glad you and your brother ended up here, glad you attempted with minecraft, among other things. Glad to have met you, because you've changed my perception on things. Looking forward to meeting you this winter when your brother moves out here.@Polak
- I still can't believe I convinced you to come out here to school with me. I'm so siked, honestly. We're going to get to do a lot of awesome stuff together and work together. I cannot wait to see you participate more and more in Tango.@Shay
- We don't talk and fuck around as much as we used to... but the league days were a lot of fun.@miK
- You're an awesome guy in our community, wish you weren't in a position that was just so laid back, you'd do great things here.@Urbana
- You've done quite a bit here, moved to a lot of staff. You are definitely someone I like interacting with.@NootThePenguin
- Glad you returned once I got home from school. Nothing's better than playing random fucking games with you. Hope you continue to stay here and move back into my administration. You're a great friend. You've honestly filled that role juicy once had memeing in random games with me. Glad you merged in from WTC and brought that purge server here. Lots of people love it still to this day, and you did great things with it when you were in control.@Sinister
- Miss you in my staff, miss playing games with you. Hope you return one day soon. Glad to have had you apart of Tango so long.@Juicy
- Miss you dude. Get back from where-ever the fuck you are so we can convenience so more people you're my brother. @themacproguy
- New guy on the list, but moving up quite fast. You've done more for TangoWorldWide in a short time than a lot. You're motivated, you love to contribute, and I honestly can't thank you enough for that. Working with you this last week has been loads of fun. You've taught me a lot of new things, and showed me a lot of things of where we can go towards. It's exciting. Looking forward to continuing to in the future.@xyra
- I saved my best for last here. You're one of the best friends I've acquired from Tango. Someone I've had the chance to play a lot of games with and spend quite a bit of time with. A lot of people don't know much about you, and you get a lot of hate for random things. Some think you don't do your job, some think you get your rank just because you're friends with me. Honestly, neither is the case. Your profiles right, "big heart". I know you care a lot for cL, and your work, and the things you do in TangoWorldWide. It's why you're still in that position, thanks for reaching out to the community to get help with cL. Hope it all works out and you continue to lead that group, you're someone who definitely won't leave it anytime soon, and will continue to try to help it grow to the best of your ability. Dedication* is the word I'm looking for.
As I stated, these are the people who make Tango what it is for me, and make it so much. It's late, and I could continue to write thank you's to people for hours. There's even more than this who make Tango mean so much to me, but this is the immediate list that stood out.
As previously stated, there are a lot of people who have joined our community and continue to move on. Thank you so much for those who stay around. It was an absolute pleasure tonight writing my reflection on the last year and what's to come. It brings back memories, and reminds me to stop for a second and say thanks to the people that mean the most to me.
In the next few days, upcoming is our second "Homecoming" event, to invite old member(s) of our communities back to TangoWorldWide, and my picks of 2016's Staff, Admins, and Members of the Year.
For those of you who read this much... thanks for getting to see my view as the Owner, and thank you for being here. I look forward to another successful year, and hope to see many of you still reading in year 4. We'll continue to be bigger, better, and most importantly still have the characteristics some of you have learned to love: motivation and innovation. I've never been proud of something more in my whole life. Thank you.
-balonDirector of Operations